Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mamm-OH-gram

I had my annual mammogram today.  Or should I say, ENDURED my annual mammogram?  Man, that is uncomfortable!  And I must say, I went to Austin Radiological Association with every intention of writing all about it..….in a derogatory, derisive way, to once again point out and unveil all the ridiculous, almost inhumane humiliations and inconveniences of it all.  Another behind-the-scenes expose’, so to speak. 

But here’s the thing…. something altogether different transpired and I find myself seeing this whole experience with a new perspective.  The medical assistants and radiology technicians were actually kind and patient.  Upon checking in at the front lobby I was immediately ushered down a hall to a special separate waiting room specifically designed for those awaiting their mammograms.  The walls were decorated with encouraging artwork, a plaque with the words “Live, Laugh, Love” hung on the door, and cheerful accessories brightened up the tables.  Even the live plants were dressed up with pink bows. 

After my paperwork was processed by the soft-spoken attendant I was taken to a dressing room to disrobe (“everything off above the waist”).  After having donned the obligatory hospital gown over my jeans I was again invited to come back and sit in this private waiting room IN MY GOWN.  Here we go, I thought.  But there were other women in there too, IN THEIR GOWNS, and we quietly became a sort of club.  We talked to each other, we enjoyed the surprising array of flavored creamers offered with the complimentary coffee…..we were connected in this shared ordeal of womanhood.

One of the posters hanging near me was a little less encouraging – “One in eight women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer some time in her life,” it warned.  I looked around the waiting room…. There were five of us – would we all be safe? 

The information on the poster continued, “How do I know if I am at risk for breast cancer?”  

Guess what the first two criteria were --  #1 – Being a woman.  #2 – Aging.  Not exactly preventable risk factors…..

And as I was sitting there trying to decide what to write about in my planned tirade about mammograms, my thoughts went instead down a different path.  You see, this past year I had the privilege of walking closely with my dear friend Brenda through her deepest valley – her breast cancer diagnosis, surgery, and subsequent excruciating chemo and radiation treatments, in her ten-month battle to beat that deadly, horrible disease.  Thanks be to God, our miraculous Healer, she is now well again.   At long last, all of her scans and blood tests have been returning with the magic word “CLEAR” gracing the results column.   So, I began to rethink my intentions of making fun of such a crucial and life-saving procedure….

For I, the LORD am your Healer.  ~  Exodus 15:26

Back in the mammogram waiting room, one by one each of us from our new club was called for our own turn with the machine of torture, and yet that technician was gentle and patient as well.  Painful?  Yes, absolutely!  But quick.  And worth it. 

Here is a funny for you because I can’t resist ~ 

But…..mammograms…..not so bad after all.  In fact, I highly recommend them – not for fun or even an enjoyable day, but for life, for health, and for early detection if by any chance there is a problem brewing.  And while we are at it, Brenda wanted me to also stress to you how crucial your monthly breast self-exams are as well!

Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are the one I praise.  ~  Jeremiah 17:14

And on the way home from ARA, I happened to have my camera in the car and I saw these flowers by the side of Manchaca Road, so of course I pulled off onto the shoulder to get these photographs of them so I could share their beauty with you. 

So enjoy.  And get that annual mammogram!

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.  ~ 3 John 1:2

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, getting that all important mammo!!! It saved my life you know!!! They are not the most fun and I loved your cartoon and the fact that you know it is a life saving procedure. The things we women endure, mostly not very dignified... You know when I finished radiation the staff gave me a plaque signed by all of the staff encluding my radiologist and threw confetti my last treatment...quote on the plaque was from John Wayne, "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." So we girls just saddle up, don't we. Of course, we could not "saddle up" with out the strength God gives us through the Holy Spirit and His Word. 11 year survivor this Aug. Everytime I have my yearly mammo, I "saddle up" again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with an audience that is further away than your "buds" like Jean Johnfroe, who when I was at Manchaca UMC, she was my "bud". Thank goodness there are women around like you and like Jean (she forwarded your note to her). We all need lifting up on our blue days and we haven't bothered to talk to God about whatever is going on. Hopefully, each of you will remind the others that God is the answer and that He is the first to go to in any situation.
    Again, thanks for sharing.
    Kate McWhirt

    ReplyDelete