Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Joy, Step By Step

                                                                      
I know when I am allowing stress or worry to affect me when I realize that I have that pit of dread in my stomach.  It just weighs heavily there, like I have swallowed one of my Jazzercise hand weights.  The persistent pressing of it just makes me tired, dampens my mood, and steals my joy.  

Where do you feel your stress?  Some of you find that stress or worry localizes in you as a headache or maybe a backache.  Others may just have an overall aching or vague feeling of impending doom.  But however it manifests itself, it is not enjoyable.  En-JOY-able.  Our hope dims, our joy fades, and we lose that feeling that “everything is going to be okay.” 

So what can cause this syndrome for you?  Fear over a big decision you have to make? Dread of a test, an assignment, a meeting, or unplanned expense?  Bad news, a challenge never before faced, a hurting relationship, a loss?    

Whatever it is, we need to remember – God knows.  He has the answer.  He has a plan for us.  He will give us the strength, the direction, the wisdom, the patience, the comfort we need, and most importantly, He will walk through it WITH us. 

And in the meantime, He doesn’t want us to walk around burdened and hopeless.  Life is hard.  Absolutely! And I just know that God hurts when we hurt.  But listen to this –

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance, and let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  ~  James 1:2-4

And note that it says WHEN we encounter trials, not IF.  So when I feel that stress weighing down on me again, I will take some deep breaths, pray, and take baby steps toward joy.  Toward that peace that only God can wash over us, even before the problem is over. 

Be anxious for nothing but by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  ~ Philippians 4:6-7


1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I have read this over and over, so wise and love the last scripture. one of the ones i tried to memorize!!!

    ReplyDelete